News

Grammar girl wins scholarship to Germany

Katherine ZambelliYear 11 student, Katherine Zambelli, has won one of two scholarships awarded by the Goethe Institut in Queensland for 2017.

The scholarship entails a four-week trip to Germany, including a two-week homestay.

‘I’m looking forward to going to school in Germany, getting to know what life is like in a German family and meeting people from around the world,’ Katherine said.

To apply for the scholarship, Katherine was required to submit a 200-word response and a spoken recording in German about who she would choose if she could talk to a German person from past or present.

‘I chose the historical figure, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, because I admire his writing,’ Katherine said.

‘I also wrote a biography about Goethe in German.’

Katherine’s German teacher, Mrs Izabela Minuzzo, said she received very positive feedback from the Goethe Institut regarding Katherine’s work.

‘They were impressed with her language skills, as well as with her mature approach,’ she said.

‘This is a fabulous opportunity for Katherine and we are very proud of her achievement.’

Katherine hopes to continue her studies in German on finishing school and would like to work in a language related field in the future.

‘I enjoy learning new German vocabulary and expanding my knowledge and proficiency in the language,’ she said.

German is one of the five languages students can study at Brisbane Girls Grammar School, along with Latin, Chinese, Japanese and French.