The School holds a number of beautiful antique furniture pieces in its Fine Arts Collections, including the C. Bechstein Grand Piano in the Annie Mackay Room, which was gifted to the School by the family of BGGS alumna, Barbara Fielding (Parker, 1948).
The date stamped inside the piano suggests it was manufactured in Carl Bechstein’s factory in Beriln in 1899.
Barbara attended Girls Grammar from 1945 to 1948 and was Head Girl and recipient of the Sports Brooch.
The C. Bechstein piano belonged to Barbara’s aunt. After her aunt died, the piano was moved into the Fielding household where it was lovingly played by Barbara, who was an A student in Music.
Some years later, the piano was gifted to the BGGS Instrumental Music Department before being moved to the Fine Arts Collection due to its age. It was placed in the Annie Mackay Room and students would often sit down to play.
In 2019, Principal, Ms Jacinda Euler, approved a proposal to restore this fine instrument. Over the course of many months, the interior workings and keyboard were refurbished with the exterior mahogany case carefully repolished by hand, giving it an exquisite finish.
The piano is now back in the Annie Mackay room, a valued and valuable addition to our Fine Arts Collection.
The School gratefully acknowledges the generosity of the Fielding family, in particular Barbara Fielding, in gifting this beautiful instrument to the School.
Ms Lorraine Thornquist
Manager of Collections