Sustaining our Service

I hope all students feel the excitement building as we anticipate Years 11 and 12 returning next week, and Years 7 to 10 in a few weeks’ time. In her Assembly Speech this week, Principal, Ms Jacinda Euler, spoke of the rich learning opportunities girls have right now, in these unique times, and encouraged them to use their Girls Grammar education to develop not only a real understanding of what is happening at the moment, but also to be absolutely dedicated to making change in our society, in whatever fields their passions and interests lie. One of the most wonderful aspects of our Co-curricular Program is that there really is an opportunity for every girl to find her own way of making a difference through the School’s Service program.

While all of our Service groups support wonderful causes, there are two distinct groups doing some incredible work that I would like to acknowledge: the Grammar Environmental and Conservation Organisation (GECO); and Grammar Goes Green (GGG) service groups, led by Mrs Christine Woodford and Mr Gideon Huppert. These groups, with the support of Facilities and Grounds staff, led by Mr Aaron Bowden and Mr Chris Bailey, have introduced an impressive array of sustainability initiatives that have already had a substantial impact on the School.

The below is an example of some recent initiatives the School has implemented:


  • LEDs are 80 per cent more efficient than traditional lighting. Over the past six months, BGGS has exchanged more than 200 internal and external light fittings with LED


  • The organic waste from our kitchens is converted into compost, soil conditioner and garden mulch
  • ‘Containers for Change’ bins are well used and encourage recycling
  • Batteries, old light bulbs and e-waste are recycled appropriately
  • General and paper waste is compacted
  • Waste is redirected away from landfill and into effective, efficient and environmentally sustainable solutions
  • The School has engaged a waste contractor to help us achieve our sustainability goals

Solar power

  • Marrapatta has one 10kw and one 5kw system installed (49 panels), both commissioned in January 2020
  • Rangakarra has one 12kw system installed (48 panels), commissioned in mid 2018. The School consumes 27 per cent of the energy generated, sending the remaining 73 per cent back into the grid
  • The Main Campus has two 100kw systems (540 panels). In October 2019, 270 panels were installed on the roof of the Cherrell Hirst Creative Learning Centre. An identical system was installed on the McGrae Grassie Sport Centre roof in January 2020. While these systems are relatively new, they are already providing significant energy savings


  • The School’s grass clippings, palm fronds and other green waste is converted into compost, soil conditioner and garden mulch
  • Our worm farms generate ‘worm juice’, which we use to enrich the soil in our gardens
  • BGGS carefully selects shrubs and trees that attract birds and butterflies

Ms Ellena Papas
Dean of Co-curriculum