News

Grammar Women in the Boardroom: A Conversation for Change — Ms Else Shepherd AM (1960)

One of the first female engineers to graduate in Queensland, past student, Ms Else Shepherd AM (1960) is one of the guest speakers at our upcoming Grammar Women in the Boardroom: A Conversation for Change event — a stimulating panel discussion led by five prominent career directors.

Else was the first Chairman of Powerlink Queensland and has served as a director on the boards of a range of companies and not-for-profit organisations.

In 2003, Else was awarded a Member of the Order of Australia for her contributions to engineering, education and the electricity industry.

Throughout her career, Else says she was ‘extremely well served by the very thorough grounding in mathematics that [she] received at Girls Grammar.’

‘I have always loved maths and I appreciated at the time, and still do, the many hours in class doing every single maths example in the textbooks,’ she said.

Her advice for current Grammar girls is to follow career paths that suit them.

‘If I had listened to all the well-meaning, kindly advice that I was given, I would never have become an engineer, which would have been a great pity,’ Else said.

We look forward to hearing more from Else at Grammar Women in the Boardroom: A Conversation for Change event, to be held on Wednesday 30 August 2017 in the Barbara Fielding Room, level 4, Cherrell Hirst Creative Learning Centre at Brisbane Girls Grammar School.