News

Outstanding Grammar Woman inspires younger generation

Isabella Lin speaking with current Grammar girls

Isabella Lin speaking to current Grammar girls

In the four years since nineteen-year-old Isabella Lin graduated from Brisbane Girls Grammar School, she has amassed a list of achievements that are nothing short of extraordinary.

Recently graduating from the University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley), Isabella completed her four-year Degree in Genetics, Genomics and Development in three years, receiving the UC Berkeley Edward M. Blount Award for the highest grade point average in an undergraduate degree with a genetics major.

She also graduated with Dean’s Honours, Highest Distinction; Summa Cum Laude (Honours); and was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa Society — the oldest academic honour society in the USA.

Isabella is also a recipient of the Berkeley Undergraduate Scholarship for Academic Merit and the Alumni Leadership Award — the most prestigious non-academic award at UC Berkeley, which recognises leadership and community service.

It is this desire to serve her community in a meaningful way that motivates Isabella, who has returned to Brisbane to share her story with the next generation of young women.

‘I am working towards a career in paediatric oncology (childhood cancers) clinical research; medical science is a truly fascinating field, and one which will allow me to positively contribute to society, ultimately I hope in a way which saves lives.

‘I am excited to have returned to Brisbane to share my experience of not only working in medical science, but also the challenges and opportunities associated with international study,’ Isabella said.

Isabella relocated to California as a sixteen-year-old — a decision which has enabled her to benefit from myriad opportunities that have directly contributed to her future career path.

‘Between now and when I recommence study in August 2018, I will be working in cancer immunology research at the renowned Raulet Laboratory (UC Berkeley campus) and conducting a clinical project in paediatric oncology at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute,’ Isabella said.

Last week, Isabella spoke to Brisbane Girls Grammar School students who are interested in pursuing a career in medical science or studying outside Australia.

Principal, Ms Jacinda Euler, said she was delighted to see Isabella return to the School to share her story.

‘I am thrilled to see Isabella excelling in her studies, having benefited from the educational foundation received at Girls Grammar and encouragement of our young women to contribute confidently to their world with wisdom, imagination and integrity. Isabella’s story serves as an inspiration to others to explore their dreams and aspirations,’ Ms Euler said.

Isabella, who has applied to medical schools in the US to complete post-graduate studies to combine a Doctor of Medicine and PhD, said she was looking forward to returning to Brisbane once her studies are complete.

‘I love the warm people and glorious weather, and with the opportunity to work in one of Brisbane’s world-class medical research facilities, I look forward to again calling Queensland home.’