After leaving BGGS, the Mittelheuser sisters maintained a close connection to Girls Grammar. Margaret was Treasurer of the Old Girls Association between 1952 and 1953 and later served on the Board of Trustees from 1987 to 1990.
Not only were Margaret and Cathryn pioneers for women in business and science, they led the way in philanthropy, supporting a range of educational and cultural institutions and other causes, including many projects and programs at the School, to ensure the next generation of women could benefit from an excellent education.
Generous patrons of the Arts, Margaret and Cathryn began supporting the Queensland Art Gallery in 1985, and ‘Two Sisters, A Singular Vision’ features a selection from their legacy of more than 100 works. Though they have supported the acquisition of key works across many areas of the Collection, the Gallery’s holdings of Indigenous Australian Art, particularly works by female artists, have benefitted most significantly through their gifts.
The exhibition will be showing until Sunday 31 January 2021.